The human heart is a hollow pear shaped or cone shaped organ held upside down with its narrow end below and the broader side above.
Picture showing shape of human neart.
Size of the Heart
The human heart is a small organ and is usually the size of one’s closed fist and weighs about 250 grams to 350 grams. For averages,
- the average weight of a woman’s heart is about 255 grams (9 ounces) while
- the average weight of a man’s heart is about 300 grams (10.5 ounces).
Parameters of the Human Heart
- Length of the human heart is about 5 inches (12 cms),
- Width of the heart is about 3.5 inches (8-9 cms) and
- The heart measures about 2.5 inches (6 cms) from front to back.
Size of Heart in Fetus
During the first few weeks after conception when the fetus is developing, the heart is relatively big and occupies most of the mid section of the body of the fetus. The ratio of the heart size to body size is nine times greater in the fetus when compared to the same ratio in an infant. As weeks of fetal development pass, the fetal heart which lies high in the chest starts moving downwards to occupy its position in the chest.