Effects of Alcohol|Effects of Alcoholism.
Effect of alcohol is such, so as to destroy the life of an alcoholic in all possible ways – socially and health wise. Alcoholism or alcohol abuse is a disease which destroys the finances, social life, physical life, mental health, family life and job status of the alcoholic person.
Besides his life is constantly churned with domestic violence, car accidents and physical violence. Alcoholism or alcohol addiction creeps into every aspect of the alcoholic’s life: lost jobs, broken marriages, ruined reputation and loss of self esteem.
Drinking effects vary according to the amount of alcohol drunk and duration and intensity of the drinking habit. Drinking excessive alcohol, such as in alcoholism, causes long term effects of alcoholism ranging through almost all systems of the body.
Here are the short term effects of alcohol due to the number of drinks (pegs) taken and the long term effects of alcohol due to alcoholism or alcohol addiction.
Short Term Effects of Alcohol.
Effects from having one to two drinks of alcohol.
- Some people become talkative and jolly while some fall silent.
- A feeling of being relaxed.
- A sense of confidence creeps in.
Effects of drinking two to three drinks of alcohol.
- More talkative and confident.
- Self praise is abundant.
- Reduced inhibition.
- Loss of judgment.
- Impaired movements.
Effects of drinking three to five drinks of alcohol.
- Loss of balance.
- Slurred speech.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Impaired vision.
- Unstable emotions ranging from aggression to crying..
Effects of drinking 6 to 10 drinks of alcohol.
- Inability to walk.
- Very slurred speech.
- Loss of bladder control.
- Heavy breathing.
- Inability to remember events.
- Possible loss of consciousness.
Effects of drinking more than 10 drinks of alcohol.
- Comatose condition.
- Possible death.
Risks of Alcohol Intoxication.
Besides the side effects of alcohol mentioned above, alcoholic intoxication causes
- driving accidents,
- drowning accidents,
- domestic crimes,
- social crimes,
- decreased efficiency at work or studies,
- fire injuries, etc.
Long Term Effects of Alcohol|Long Term Effects of Alcoholism.
These are the alcohol effects on the body seen with years of chronic and everyday excessive drinking as in alcoholism. Some of the side effects of alcoholism are serious, and if alcohol and the effects of alcohol are not controlled, cause certain death. Drinking excessive alcohol, such as in alcoholism, causes long term effects ranging through almost all systems of the body. Knowing these effects will tell you why you must stop drinking alcohol.
Alcohol effects on the brain and the nervous system.
- Damage to the brain resulting in dementia. Dementia is loss of brain function leading to impairment of memory, speech, cognitive function, adverse behavior and confusion.
- Neuritis and nerve damage leading to muscle weakness and in coordination and tremors of the legs.
- Wernicke–Kosakoff Syndrome occurs due to vitamin B1 deficiency and which causes psychiatric disorders like depression and suicidal tendencies, vision disturbances, nystagmus which is back and forth movements of the eyes, impaired and double vision.
- Delirium tremens is an acute episode of delirium which is seen usually 72 hours after stopping alcohol. Symptoms are seizures, tremors, nausea and vomiting, fast heart beat and hallucinations. If untreated, this condition can lead to death.
- Increased risk of cancer of the esophagus, larynx, breast, liver, colon and the rectum.
Alcohol effects on the Digestive Tract.
- Bleeding from the esophageal varices.
- Alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis of the liver.
- Gall stones.
- Malnourishment due to poor absorption of nutrients.
5. Alcohol effects on the Cardiovascular System and Heart.
- Damage to heart muscle, cardiac arrhythmias and heart attack.
- High Blood Pressure which can lead to brain stroke.
Picture showing effects of alcohol on the body. (Click on picture to enlarge)
6. Effect of alcohol on bones.
- Osteoporosis. Alcohol causes decrease in bone density increasing risks of bone fracture.
7. Alcohol effect on sexual function.
- Alcoholism causes impotency and loss of fertility. As William Shakespeare said: “Alcohol provokes the desire but destroys the performance”
8. Alcohol and Diabetes.
- In diabetics, alcohol consumption results in fall of blood sugar levels which can lead to hypoglycemia.
9. Effect of alcohol on menstruation.
- In women, alcohol causes menstruation irregularities.
10. Effect of alcohol during pregnancy.
- Exposure to high alcohol consumption during pregnancy can cause severe physical and mental defects in the new born. This is called fetal alcohol syndrome.
Picture of student being educated on effects of alcohol.
Effects of alcohol spread across the social life, family life and health of the alcoholic. It is almost impossible for an alcoholic to stop drinking alcohol on his own. It is therefore necessary to educate any person who drinks, of these effects and what alcohol makes of an alcoholic.
Our other related posts on Alcohol.
1) What is Alcohol.2) Alcohol Statistics.3) Alcohol units.4) Alcoholic and Alcoholism.5) Effects of alcohol.6) Alcohol Poisoning.7) Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome.8) Treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.9) Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.10) Treatment for Alcohol.11)Alcoholism Rehab.