Natural and home remedies for flu cure form an important and very convenient way to get relief from your flu symptoms because flu is caused by the flu virus and the science of medicine yet does not have any drug or medicine to eradicate a virus. These natural and home remedies will not cure your flu but will give you relief from the flu symptoms which make you feel miserable. They are not a substitute for flu treatment which becomes necessary when the symptoms are very severe.
However you could do well to read how to take care of your flu which explains certain lifestyle measures you should follow when you are down with flu.
If down with flu, do follow certain measures and take the following natural and home remedies which will help to minimize the effects of the flu symptoms.
1) Rest: When you are down with flu, take rest and stay indoors at home and avoid going to work. Ideally complete bed rest is recommended. Besides doing yourself a favor, you will be also help to prevent spreading the flu to others. Do read how you get flu. Rest will help you combat fatigue which is one of the symptoms of flu. Stress due to daily work routine is also reduced. Staying in bed will also help to reduce the severity of the flu symptoms because this will help your immune system to control the infection.
2) Drink plenty of fluids: This will help you to stay hydrated. You do lose appetite and drinking fluids such as water, fresh fruit juices and warm soups (chicken or vegetable) will also help you get some nutrients. Coconut water is ideal as it will replenish your electrolyte levels. Children can be given flavored electrolyte solutions like Gatorade and PowerAde, which contain electrolytes. Staying hydrated will help thin the mucus secretions which then become easier to remove or expectorate. Dehydration can be a complication of flu and drinking plenty of fluids will minimize the risk.
3) Control room temperature and humidity. Flu is an illness of winter and that is when the flu season sets in and flu epidemics are seen. The cold and dry climate is conducive for the flu virus to survive longer and spread the flu. You should therefore control the temperature of your home or at least the room where you sleep and also add some humidity with a warm- or cool-mist humidifier. This will make you feel comfortable and also prevent the flu from spreading to your family members.
4) Over the counter medicines. Mild and appropriate antipyretics can be taken to control the high fever and chills and cough suppressants should be taken for that dry hacking cough.
5) Honey and lemon can be good natural medicines for flu. Honey acts as a good expectorant and helps to remove the mucus from the nose and the respiratory tract. Honey is a natural Chinese medicine for cough. Add one tablespoon of honey to a cup of warm water, squeeze some lemon into it and drink up every day for the duration of your illness. A glass of lemon juice mixed with one or two tablespoons (as per your taste) of honey can also be tried to suit your taste. Lemon contains Vitamin C which increases body immunity and resistance and honey has anti septic and anti oxidant properties.
6) Elderberry is a herb that has long since been used as a remedy for colds and flu. Elderberry is a fruit which grows on the elder tree. Research indicates that the elderberry extract contains some compounds that strengthen the body immune system which helps to control the virus. This natural remedy decreases the swelling of the sinuses and reduces the duration of the flu symptoms. Elderberry pills and elderberry extract juice are available. There is no standard dose but you could ask your doctor or homeopath.
Image of elderberry
7) A glass of hot milk with turmeric: Turmeric root is available as dried and ground powder which is yellow in color. It contains curcumin, an anti-inflammatory substance which exerts anti influenza activity and prevents the spread of the flu virus in the body. It does so due to its anti-oxidant and anti bacterial properties. Milk helps by giving proper nutrition and increasing body resistance and turmeric is a natural anti-septic and anti-bacterial agent. Turmeric capsules are also available and can be taken in dosages of 250 mg to 500 mg daily.
8) Steam inhalation through nose and mouth for clearing a stuffed nose and for fermenting a sore throat.
9) Salt warm water gargling – again for fermenting the sore throat.
These natural and home remedies do help in curbing the flu symptoms and reducing their duration.